I have been asking myself this question for some time now. I have created a list of people and things that make me want to create, help someone, improve myself or simply do a great job on what ever it is I am working on.
We interrupt this blog to tell how Rachel is a moron and whose husband will likely strangle her today.
So, we have an security system in our home. It provides D with a measure of peace that is extremely necessary due to some step children that regularly abused his trust … we’ll leave it at that. As soon as the climate warms above 65 I open all the windows in the house, what with me being the spring lover and non-allergy person that I am (believe me I know how blessed I am to say that last statement).
Anyway … this morning I start to blog about what inspires me and think … “Well open windows in spring”, so I put down my cup of coffee (which is working it’s magic on schedule ;), I scoot behind the chair to the living room window to let in that beautiful fresh air only to hear the screeching wail of the alarm go off. S#%*T! FOR LIKE THE FIFTH TIME THIS SPRING! As I bolted to the alarm panel and enter the code to turn it off my stomach cries out … release the Drakken! Which causes me to think … well great, now I have to call my husband (who is teaching a class) and call ADT while I’m setting “on the pot” as my mother so delicately puts it. It’s that or create a mess on our new floors, eeeewwww! So, I call D, apologize profusely to tell him it was just me again, then call ADT who has already disrupted D’s class now for the second time.
And then I washed my hands.
Okay, so now you know that open windows in spring time inspires me … what else? In no particular order …
- Coffee in the mornings!
- My husband (and I’m not just saying that to appease him) He really does make me want to be a better person. He is a perfectionist and I am not. I am hopeful that after a few years I may become more of one though.
- My cats. It’s true that pets provide comfort and calm.
- Long drives down a winding road. There are a lot of amazing ones in Kentucky.
- My mother because half the time whenever I cook I think, “How would Mama do it?”
- Jesus, for all the obvious reasons. (Technically, I’m pretty sure his name should be first on this list.)
- My friend LeAnne. She is the kindest and most sincere person I have ever met.
- Planting and growing things. I’d like to think I get this from Mama and Granny but … since I mostly ignored them when they would try to get to help in the garden as a child. I suppose really it comes from a lot of places.
My great grandmother, Helen. My granny Mary, and my beautiful mama, Marthella.
Mama’s influence, certainly but also my friend Doug. He taught me so much about nutrition and health. I want to grow my own food because it’s good for me. I grow my own herbs because I love to cook and I’ve been poor much of my life and it’s cheaper to grow them than to buy them. There is great satisfaction in growing, cooking and eating food from your own hands. Anyone can go to the store to buy them.
- Birds. I love waking to hear the Mourning Doves cooing.
Heavy sigh. Ah, Amalfi.
- Large bodies of water. Lakes, oceans, rivers even my new tub. Nothing fills me with more peace or calm than being in or near water. I don’t know now or why but it does.
That’s my list. I could probably add a to it but for now, it will do. What inspires you?